Mind Escape – The Importance of
Films
Histories, Novels, Essays
Histories, Novels, Essays
by Jacob Malewitz
In his classic “Oldboy,” Chan-wook
Park creates revenge, with a dash of madness; pain and sex, with a
dash of incest; violence and noir, with some sprinklings of John Woo
films. I have this bitter fascination with Asian films, the kinds of
Akira Kurosawa, or the anime movement (hell yeah “Ghost In the
Shell”), or the “Hard Boiled” and “The Killer” modes
created by a madman of action by the name of Woo. There is, in these
films, a dark escape. The characters are on the run, dark things are
happening, and we can smell the gunsmoke, smell the blood. It allows
an escape.
“Oldboy” was one of my first
blu-ray buys, and it was worth it, even being available on the
escapist-who-never-sleeps site of Netflix, where literally hundreds
of classics, like Oldboy, can be found. The narration seems to be so
odd. A man dies and is reborn, in a sense. He falls in love. He
kills. He never stops, always in the perpetual motion of noir mixed
with blacks, greys, even some whites. This is a painting you get
jealous of, and this is a painting you want to copy.
In my own art, I have often thought
back to films. How can I distill this? I know, bad: you don't learn
fiction storytelling from films, though there can be some argument
there. I thought of Oldboy, when I saw the cover, as a “The
Killer,” but it's more of a literary piece. It flows with action.
The characters have motivations. The bad guys are bad, as bad as some
of the dubbing involved in the films (which just adds to it).
I used to think and write on “Donnie
Darko” in my journals. I would write and write about this oddly
magical film, a kind of pseudo science fiction, and you might even
compare it with Southland Tales, one odd with magic, the other odd
with many bad points and music video like storytelling.
These journals would question what
happened in the story. I was trying to get a bead on what made them
work. So I wrote (for Donnie Darko), “who the hell is the rabbit.”
More recently, I watched “Oldboy”, and its odd storytelling, its
successful storytelling, was like a bridge. You may get this
conception of the Hong Kong and Japan and else types of stories, but
it's purely unique, better than most Tarantino stuff, and it's
Korean, and boy did this director get that on the page.
I escaped into these dark film rides. I
got away from my stories. I avoided my art. I wanted to see other
art, something they created, but outside of my own thought. I mean by
this: I had to get away. I had to explore something new. You can sit
down with your notebook in front of the TV and write notes, then go
to your laptop and write, but when are you not writing or studying?
Escaping – that is what you want. It lets you look at colors
differently, at blog posts differently, at your stories with fresh
eyes, and then you can avoid the block and the doubts. You escaped
into something else. Your novel career or freelance blogging career
or painting career is in the other room. Sit down, watch something.
Escape to a film. Run outside. Then, hours later, sit. Write.
----------------------------
novelists or career ghost in the shell fans
yoko onno
ghost in the shell
stand alone episode

No comments:
Post a Comment